Saturday, February 21, 2009

spinning


Fibre from Babylonglegs
There has been a little spinning going on after a little break, where I just wasn't feeling the love, I actually think it was the merino that was kicking my butt that did it. So anyone have any ideas on how I can spin merino on my Louet S10 feel free to jump in because last months Spunky Eclectic fibre was the softest organic merino and I don't want to waste it.

I also need to remember not to use the same Vaseline I use on my lips, on my wheel, this morning I wiped a smear of vaseline on my face before stepping out in the cold and got a big piece of fibre on my lip, not nice ;)

So last year I spun yarn for a specific project and recently finished knitting it.
Here is my 28thirty in Icelandic and BFL both by Amy, I love it and its perfect for our freezing cold weather.



I even have some fibre on my Ethan Jacob spindle, it is spinning the finest singles ever but how long is it going to take me to spin 2oz of fibre on it?



More knitting news, I recently lost 2 pairs of socks, they developed big holes in the bottom, so new socks for me are on the needles but according to no3 these two don't make a pair, personally I quite like them :)

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

What a lovely jacket, and from your own handspun too. You've made a lovely job of it and I bet you've had plenty of wear out of it. x K

BabyLongLegs said...

Oh Yve......that merino~silk has turned out beautifully :D I love it!
As for spinning merino on an S10, all I used to do was pre~draft the roving really well, to almost the thickness I needed, then you don't have to draft too much when the wheel is going. Attatch a really long leader onto your bobbins too, so you can let lots of twist build up before it starts yanking the roving out of your hands :) Also, I spun almost exclusively on the biggest whorl on the bobbins.....have you tried that?

Great to see you blogging again too :D

Love
S xXx

Anonymous said...

I spin on an S10 as well. On my older model, the flyer hooks are stationary, so I zig-zag the leader across them. This reduces the pull. I also spin on the smallest whorl, myself, but I pretty much only spin sock yarn, so I like lots of twist. When I spin my Spunky Club fiber, I'll let you know if I have any ideas. I'm thinking of spinning a thicker single and thread-plying it. I'll let you know!

Vicki Knitorious said...

What a lovely sweater, Yvette! Gorgeous colors. I don't spin, so I have no clue why you'd be using Vaseline on your wheel. I can't STAND the feeling of stray fiber anywhere on my face -- even a stray hair can drive me batty sometimes -- so I'd definitely be keeping separate jars of Vaseline.
; ) Nice to "see" you.

Anonymous said...

Superbe écheveau, et le gilet est très mignon. Biz

Enid said...

I presume you used Vas as a form of lubricant?
as to the socks, well #3 still has a lot to learn about us women, don't he?
:):)

Flavaknits said...

Ooohh! All that lovely handspun yarn , and the beautiful jacket - so lovely.
I especially love your socks - its like Dobby's odd pair of socks in Harry Potter, except yours are much nicer!
Mx

Faith said...

Those socks are the cutest ever!

I know I've already commented on your sweater on the Spunky forum, but it is truly lovely. What a wonderful job with both the knitting and the spinning. Beautiful!